Saturday, January 10, 2015

MATERIALS FOR DIFFERENT MIXED MEDIA EFFECTS

Elsewhere on this art blog I have previously discussed a number of media and common household products to create many textures and to use with a wide variety of techniques. See plastic food wrap here, and masking fluid here.


art+materials, Guhin, effects
You can even use rubber cement as a resist material!
You can imprint designs with fabrics, too! Below are a few other techniques to remind you of the possibilities!
Today we'll use water-soluble media (liquid watercolors, fluid acrylics) on cold press watercolor paper which I taped down and pre-wet with water.
In the first example, I washed in deep color and placed wooden sticks in it at once. Then I let it dry with the sticks in place.   
tute, technique
The wooden dots did not work!



tutorial. painting
Ok, MY result isn't terribly good.
Try other items! You'll have better luck!
Another technique: Scratch into wet paper before washing color over...the broken fibers absorb color differently than the rest of the paper.   
painting, how-to
This method is good for scribbles, lines, grasses....
Thanks for viewing this post!




3 comments:

  1. All cool effects. I followed the links to the other posts--fascinated by all your examples. Thanks. A note to others viewing this: click on a picture then scroll through each slide. I couldn't see the finished piece with the red/blue paint until I did this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, I just stumbled on this website
    http://christinemariedavis.blogspot.com/
    and thought you and your followers would enjoy her art work. I quite like the smashed metal pieces, and her recycled art. She's a sculptor, but I think her work has similarities to yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for both your comments, Anon. They are always welcome. I can see where you found the similarity to Ms. Davis: She's a crazy lady too!

      Delete

Your kindness in leaving a message is greatly appreciated!