Sunday, December 28, 2014

A COLLAGE - PAINTING STEP-BY-STEP

A COOL COMBO FOR A MIXED MEDIA ARTWORK

Gauze and modeling paste together add
 major texture to any painting.

 Sure, there are many other materials you can use for similar effects: crackle paste, sheetrock compound, "molding" paste
or any of the texture pastes.
Here I'll show you every step of my method, beginning with a used canvas.  (I had collaged and painted an angel, but did not like the finished work.)
 
1. I gathered two images to add to the piece, and kept the angel. I veiled her thinly with a yellow ochre glaze. The three images balance each other.
collage, painting
Step 1, veiling and collage.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
   
2.  I added thin glazes of acrylic color to the large figure and the tiny arch at top to blend them in better.
(Please excuse the quality of several of these pix!)

P.Guhin, mixed-media
Step 2, more veiling.

3. I adhered gauze to the canvas (in an arch shape) using acrylic medium, and then let it dry with a weight on top. 
tutorial, tute, how-to, art
Step 3, with gauze arch.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
4. Next, when the gauze was dry, I scraped modeling paste into it. Let dry thoroughly.
acrylics, painting
Still not finished!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
5. Finally, I used thin paints on the dry white arch and also adjusted the red cast. I then accented the entire piece to create contrast...light and dark in places. 
texture, technique
The finished artwork.
                        HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful ! Can you please comment on the first step ? Before you added the yellow glaze, did you have to spray the images with anything , or can you apply a glaze directly ? I'm not very experienced with collage but I know you have to watch out for some things - thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Your kindness in leaving a message is greatly appreciated!