Monday, October 27, 2014

ANTLERS: AN UNUSUAL PAINTING SURFACE

SOME ANTLERS ARE TOO BEAUTIFUL TO COVER...
THEY ARE LIKE FINE IVORY.
But if you live in an area frequented by deer, you might find their antlers shed in or near trees. You can also buy antlers on eBay!
 
antler, Guhin, project
A found object.
I'm unlucky enough to live in an area well-trafficked by hunters,
but I do often find antlers. When I wished to use some of them in a
decorative painting project, I tinted gesso with yellow oxide or simply
used the white gesso. Gesso is a primer that helps the paint to stick.
 
project, decorative
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
project, Guhin
Colored gesso is the first layer here.
 Guhin, project
I used stencils and spray paint on this example.




















For an ombre or gradient effect I used spray paint in black, copper metallic, & brown.
I also masked off areas
with a stencil.

Another idea, especially if the antler is textured with ridges and bumps in places, is to drybrush over them with a contrasting color!
Or try gold leaf!

paint, acrylic
I prepared to do the stripes in the example below by adding
masking tape and burnishing it down thoroughly before
painting an area. I wished for some natural antler-color to show
in some places. I also wanted to include some Native
American-like symbols, drawn on with paint marker
 afterward. NOTE: When creating stripes next to
each other, let dry and seal with matte medium
first, before taping. This intermediate layer helps
keep tape from peeling off some of the acrylic paint.
 
Guhin, copyright
Always let dry thoroughly between additions.

Guhin, project
Altered Art
decor, decorative, Guhin
Ancient symbols add interest.













Seal when dry, using clear acrylic medium to help preserve your masterpiece.

 


3 comments:

  1. I never thought to paint antlers, although I've never found any either (in spite of loads to deer around). Very interesting results. I wonder if I could accomplish more or less the same effect on branches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good of you to write, Anon! And what a great mind you have! If you thoroughly cleaned and sealed branches, they should last a good long time, I should think. Do try it!

      Delete
  2. Hello
    I love the photo of the antler in black metallic copper and brown. I wish you had a tutorial as I can not figure how you got this effect! Did you put a finish on this of some kind when you were done painting? If so, what? Do you recommend gesso before using acrylics on antlers?
    Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete

Your kindness in leaving a message is greatly appreciated!